Wednesday 15 December 2010

A = B

The B team is still looking for its first win, despite some creditable results this season. This week was a milestone, however, as they achieved their first draw - though there were mixed feelings as the team to concede it were Aberystwyth A. On Board 1 for the B team, I tried a Tarrasch Defence for the first time against Rudy van Kemenade, and was too diffident in my approach. Later analysis showed I could have reached a good middlegame position, but a wrong decision left me hopelessly hemmed in, with mate to follow shortly. B team captain Ian Finlay, just back from the dentist and not feeling his best, lost a piece to a neat tactic by David Ferguson, but continued to press until, with options running out, he dropped a rook and resigned immediately. The A team's Julie van Kemenade gambited a pawn against John Basterfield's French Defence, but was on unfamiliar ground when he not only declined but gave up a pawn of his own. He obtained persistent pressure for it and soon scored an excellent win against a much higher-rated opponent. In the absence of the club's highest-rated player, Mark Talbot, Georgina Gray substituted on Board 4 for the A team. Tony Geraghty trapped her knight but had to negotiate some nasty complications before Georgina left a mate threat undefended. A good result for the B team who feel a little bit closer to that first win.


Rudy van Kemenade - Matthew Francis 1-0

Ian Finlay - David Ferguson 0-1

Julie van Kemenade - John Basterfield 0-1

Tony Geraghty - Georgina Gray 1-0

3 comments:

  1. Matthew - hi

    My name is Colin Hutton. I used to play chess with Rudy (he usually won!) when we were 14-yr olds at school together in S Africa (I now live in Australia).

    I would like to drop Rudy a line, but havn't found an address in the various google sites.

    I would be very grateful if you could mention this comment to Rudy and, if he is happy for you to do so, post his mail (or email) address here, for me to access in due course.

    Colin (colinhuttonhome@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colin - I've passed your message on to Rudy.

    Best,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Matthew

    Rudy has sent me an email, to which I will respond in the next few days

    Colin

    ReplyDelete