Sunday 4 May 2014

I'll Get My Coat

Aberystwyth B got nothing out of their match against Carmarthen at the Emlyn Cafe, Tanygroes on Monday 28th April, except a default on Board 4 and a coat. Against Gerry Heap on top board, I lost with the Stonewall Dutch for the second time in succession, but as before it was not the opening's fault. Even after allowing a weakness on the c file, I might have reached equality, but once White had invaded there I had no way back. Tony Geraghty often gets a kingside attack with his London System, but this time he seemed more interested in the queenside, where there was no real target. Meanwhile Nick Jackson built up the pressure on the kingside and eventually broke through to give mate. Ian Finlay got a comfortable position with his Sicilian against Paul Orton, then overlooked a move that pinned his queen. With the default, it was a 3-1 win to Carmarthen. The coat belonged to Paul Orton, and I took it on leaving, despite having arrived without one, only discovering my mistake next day when I found his car keys in "my" pocket. I will aim to confine my blunders to the board in future matches.

Gerry Heap - Matthew Francis 1-0

Tony Geraghty - Nick Jackson 0-1

Paul Orton - Ian Finlay 1-0

No comments:

Post a Comment